Monday 9 February 2015

Fated To Love You - KDrama

I first came across this drama by accident as I was browsing the interwebs and Google decided to show me some posters of some dramas I might be interested in, because of reasons. My first thought was, ‘Google you have finally failed’ as I looked at the poster and decided it was a relatively unappealing poster. Aside from not recognising any of the actors it didn't catch my attention past the fact that it existed in a sea of posters that actually did. So in a sense I guess ‘reverse psychology’?


Anyway, after clicking through all the other posters and reading all about them I became bored and, being at work and in no mood to actually do any work, I finally clicked on Google’s failure to understand me and came across what must have been the shortest summary of all the other drama’s I had been reading though. Now while it was short, I’d have to at least admit it was enticing but not intriguing enough to capture my heart and attention.


The main plot point seemed unrealistic and somehow felt overly done, like a Mills and Boons* book written and re-written every so now and then. But this was a Kdrama, so unrealistic was acceptable and though it was struggling to keep my curiosity I couldn't deny being slightly interested in it so off I went and watched the first episode.


I was pleasantly surprised to find that this drama wasn't as bad as I had pictured it to be and despite my initial reservations, and backlog of other dramas to watch, I immediately moved on to the next few episodes.


I found that ‘Fated to Love you’ had not only blown my expectations out the water, but quickly climbed up to be one of my favourites for the week as I suddenly found myself binge watching the series at night instead of sleeping. All other dramas and stuff I had been watching or doing took a back-seat as I indulged in this drama that showcased such a touching love story with a dose of good comedy that not only moved the story along but did nothing to take away from the seriousness of the main storyline.


The love story between Kim Mi-young and Lee Gun is a really sweet and innocent one that is built slowly while showing how easy it is to grow to love someone despite initial reservations. Jang Hyuk and Jang Na Ra are brilliant in their portrayal of their characters and the chemistry is amazing as they bring to life our main leads with so much emotion.


The side characters are also wonderful to watch as they bring their crazy characters to life. Wang Ji-Won’s portrayal of Nam Se-Ra is noteworthy as she turns from a likeable character into an annoying one relatively quickly, though her character isn't developed much further, she does a superb job in maintaining the role of jilted lover.


Overall this drama had great story development, even with all the Kdrama clichés thrown in. I’d definitely recommend it to anyone, I only wish another main poster was used, but I guess you can’t be too perfect, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment