Monday 16 February 2015

Akatsuki no Yona - Anime


This anime reminded me of watching a Korean drama for some reason. You know, those ones based in the Joseon era… strange to see it in anime form, but a good strange.


At first I thought I’d be bored stiff once I realized this was feeling a bit ‘Joseon’, not because I don’t like those dramas, but because I wanted to watch an anime, not a drama. I have set times for these things… I’m kind of weird like such. Anyway, I stuck through it and strangely enough I wasn’t as bored or as disappointed as I thought I’d be.


Akatsuki no Yona turned out to be a pretty decent anime that had me caring about fictional politics as it dived into the power struggle that was taking place in the Kingdom of Kouka as a lone princess, ignorant of the evils of the world, is driven out the castle by the one she loves and is forced to learn how to survive on the run.


The storyline pulls you in with some good plot as it justifies the bad guy’s motives and I find myself not entirely disagreeing with all of his methods, just the extremes and his impatience. I love this kind of conflict when I can’t really root for the protagonist 100% until she convinces me to. It’s quite captivating.


What I also love is that this period anime brought in a bit of fantasy, always a favourite of mine, and they did it slowly. The backstory is great and it creates enough anticipation for what the protagonist could become and it’s exciting.


As our exiled princess journeys to find a way to re-claim the throne we see her grow as well as gain a following of characters that help her along the way. It’s an interesting journey to watch, especially as our princess learns the truth of her father’s rule and the difference between royal living and the commoner’s life.


I’m very curious to see where it goes and I’d recommend it to anyone into dramas from the Joseon-era or even to those just as interested as me to see which King has a more sustainable rule, one that works partially in shadow and with war or an idealistic one of true transparency and determination for peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment