Tuesday 5 May 2015

Magi - Anime


There is always something very irritating about binge watching a show, but to be honest I think it comes more from the lack of sleep and many hours spent staring at a screen than anything else. When I first started watching Magi, I had to re-watch the majority of the first season because I had put off watching it for a time because I had backlogged it and forgot I had it. As so often happens with me…


Anyway, getting into the show was easy enough as I followed the story of a very perverted young boy by the name of Aladdin traveling around with his friends Alibaba and Morgiana as they adventured through a world of magic and dungeons where wars still raged and countries discriminated heavily between the haves and the have-nots. It was a definite treat to watch and I’m glad I backlogged it for as long as I did as I had so much to watch with season 1 and 2 at my disposal.

Season 2
Season 1

The main story, focused on Aladdin, a magi, who travelled around at first trying to find out who he was and eventually what he was meant to do. It’s an interesting twist in the old Disney story that I’m familiar with and I have to admit I love it to bits, despite the little guy being a complete pervert when it comes to boobs.


While on this journey Aladdin comes across what would become his best friend and ‘King Candidate’, Alibaba. His character is developed quite slowly, but very obviously during the course of the series as he is faced with the countless struggles that occur in the various countries which each have a similar theme of oppression where the wealthy thrive and the poor suffer. I enjoyed watching his struggle with what was right and wrong.


An interesting addition to things was definitely Sinbad. I mean who doesn’t know the sailor in one way or another? The legendary sailor isn’t built to be a side character without a badass reputation, so it’s a given that this anime brought to life such a colorful and epic character that’s probably capable of having his own spin-off. Which I think he even gets…


Another aspect I really loved about the anime was the Djinns that lived in the dungeons and gave their dungeon capturers their powers. These god-like creatures that transferred their spirits into the weapons of those who they marked as their ‘King Candidate’ made the fighting very interesting with so many different djinn equips which had me excited for each battle that was fought.


It really was a fascinating anime to watch, especially as it felt like I was learning about a whole new culture and religion when it came to certain things. Whether it was real or fictional, I don’t care because it was ultimately quite brilliant to watch.


I will say this though, I expect there to be a season 3 or rather I NEED a season 3 to exist, because you can’t end a thing so beautifully built like that. You just can’t….


Needless to say, I need more of this anime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment