Thursday 23 April 2015

Daredevil - TV Show [Netflix]


Hero stories are always fun to watch. That, for me, is a given. I especially like when they have a bit of realism in them. For example, take the recent series that got released to the world in all its dark and delicious glory, Daredevil.


This series was more a ‘how he was made’ kind of story. I know there’s a term for that, but let’s leave it at that for now.


This series takes your average hero story and adds a dark tone to it, which keeps in line with the comic books. A thing I’m sure excited many fans. I must admit it interested me to some extent. We see our fresh-faced lawyer Matt Murdock and his partner, Foggy Nelson, opening up their amateur practice in the belly of hell’s kitchen as they venture to do the right thing in the wrong city.


But our sight impaired lawyer has some exciting extra-curricular activities outside of the law that he participates in at night that really makes for our story’s juicy bits. Except it isn’t the suited up version we know just yet, instead it is a man dressed all in black running around doing all he can to keep his city safe, while he barely considers the consequences to his own safety.


I like that they focused on the person before the hero as they showed, slowly, how he came to be the devil of hell’s kitchen before earning his hero’s title. There is something endearing about watching him fail as he struggles to always come out at the top as he stumbles into a larger game being played by the bigger bosses that run the corruption in hell’s kitchen.


Ah, but the bigger bosses were also something to be curious about. I must admit off the bat though that I was very disappointed by the character that would no doubt become the infamous Kingpin. Initially introduced as the man who no one could say the name of for a time, we have Wilson Fisk, who is supposed to be intimidating on appearance and such.


Though he began to grow on me near the end, I still found his right hand man more of lovable villain than him. James Wesley portrayed the characteristics of a man running a criminal organization far more than his boss and frankly I am very saddened by the way he was dealt with in the show. I personally feel the man deserved much more than that.


As for the other big bosses that stood in Matt Murdock’s way to get to Fisk, I felt like they could have been given more screen time. More episodes could have been squeezed out of these encounters, but I suppose what was given was good story that refused to be compromised by lengthy, unnecessary battles. Plus our poor vigilante could hardly take all the beatings without his gear acquired.


It was also nice to see that the other characters had a chance to get some character development and excitement in their lives as they did some gallivanting on their own and got entangled here and there as the story progressed further. Though I admit Foggy could have been given just a bit more development on screen instead of off screen.


Overall the show was a winner for me and I really hope a season two is in the works, especially with lots more episodes ordered. The tone is nicely set and the suit that our vigilante eventually gets gifted with is amazeballs. The only thing needed now is for the villain, our infamous Kingpin, to actually bring it in terms of acting and character and then we have a golden series.

No comments:

Post a Comment