Tuesday 7 April 2015

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - Anime


I’d like to think of myself as a rational human being. You know, one who knows real from imaginary, but recently I found myself bawling my eyes out as I watched an anime from start to finish in just over a day. It was as if rationality abandoned me and I powered through those episodes like a starved animal who has just been handed a juicy steak.


Watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso was an interesting experience as it deviated from all the action and harem anime I’ve been bombarded with lately but I have to admit it was a refreshing change. The anime hooked with both story and visual brilliance, not to mention amazing soundtrack, as it leads into a more real world tone with deep underlying messages and strong character building and without the usual fan service and magical battles here and there.

Though that’s not to say the show didn’t have its own type of magic in the way they delivered the score of classical music that forms part of the storyline.

The story follows a boy who is a genius at the piano but loses the ability to hear himself play, and a girl who is a violist who doesn’t care for convention but instead for the love and miracle that is music. It’s a simple story that has the two meeting under unusual circumstances only to grow close and help each other along the way and grow out of their certain circumstances.

It’s a beautifully written story that draws you in and captivates you with all the colour of its characters and their struggles. It’s been a long time since I’ve been so invested in an anime like this so I have to give props to the creator of such a brilliantly executed tale of romance, drama and mystery.

Following the struggle of the main character, who I’ll affectionately call Friend A, you see a variety of things from comedy to unrequited love and then heartbreak, all of which never gets boring even when the classical music aspect is brought in. But most of all you feel his sorrow and trust me you’ll cry with him, unless you’re a heartless human person.

Then you have the bright love interest that brings colour into our protagonist’s life and you get to experience some more comedy, maybe a few ‘WTF’ moments as you try to figure out the true nature of her relationship with Friend A and then there’s that amazing duet between out pianist and violinist that both moves your heart and breaks it.

However, it doesn’t end there as even our so-called side characters get some decent development as they grow throughout the anime and find themselves as well. This anime manages to break people and build them back up in a matter of a few episodes, showing more character development than some other anime have in whole seasons.

What’s surprising about this anime is you don’t need to be some classical obsessed nerd to love it, or at least that’s my opinion. You just have to want to see something good. That’s it.

So I’d say this is a pretty good anime to watch whenever you have time, and if you don’t have time – make time.

1 comment: