Tuesday 14 April 2015

Tokyo Ghoul - Anime


In the many anime that I have been watching recently I have noted a significant amount of them lacking in one thing that has had me quite irritated and that has been character development. Sure they had some decent story and/or surprise plot, maybe lots of fan service or even a bit of moe factor to keep one distracted for a time. But the juicy bits of the trial and tribulation that make up an individual’s character and make you feel for them, has just been lacking… or at least for me it has.

Until this happened…


Tokyo Ghoul blew me away with its first season of which I finished in a day. The struggle we watch the tragic protagonist, Kaneki, go through is rich with so many developing points that build his character and break it down at the same time that it’s hard not to get drawn into his world and mind as you follow his story.


It starts out almost mundane as you watch a seemingly background character get dragged into a dangerous situation that almost costs his life then it turns out that he happens to be the main guy. It’s an interesting twist.


From mundane to suddenly dragged into the strange, we watch as Kaneki is thrown into panic as he begins to realize he might not have survived his attack unscathed as he notices certain changes.

It’s exciting to see how he deals with everything mentally in a world that hates ghouls and here he is, being something in-between. The conflict is interesting, especially as he gets to know more and more ghouls and they turn out to be totally different to what the news makes them out to be.


Then you have that ending of the first season and the sudden transformation Kaneki is forced to undergo. All I can say is…omg.


Who the hell ends a series off like that!?


Anyway, Season 2 followed and I must say I became a little confused by a few things. I felt like I missed some pieces of information.


Character development slowed down in this season, so it wasn’t as good as the first. It was as if the first season built up to this and this was meant as the execution. Whether that execution worked is up for debate.


Personally, I think it was a good season 2. That being said I expect a season 3 to exist simply because I feel like season 2 didn’t explain too much, or show too much other than some pretty cool fighting and some feel moments.


Season 2 focused less on Kaneki as it spread out to other characters and storylines, but I feel like the overall plot wasn’t highlighted enough and if you didn’t read the manga, like me, you’d be a lost fish swimming in a big fish tank waiting to see some coral at some point only to be fed some flakes every now and then and then fished out of the tank suddenly.


But that ending though, I cried. 


It was a good anime to watch. I’m glad it found its way across my eyeballs and I will definitely hope for a season 3, though something tells me I shouldn’t hold my breath for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment