Monday 30 March 2015

Blood - KDrama


Vampire stories are always a treat for me. A lover of fantasy, you can see how I am easily swayed to watch such a drama that boasts content with even the mention of a side character that happens to be a blood sucker, let alone a main. So when there were whispers on the net of a Korean drama taking on the challenge of having a vampire drama after so long I was excited to see what they had on offer.


When I finally came across it I found that they had blended not only the fantasy genre but they set it in a hospital, no doubt going for somewhat of a medical drama setting. So with a formula like that, what could possibly go wrong?

The story is set in a world where our deadly bloodsucking condition isn’t something demonic raised from the old ages but is instead a virus cooked up in a lab by a few scientists playing god. However, two of these scientists run off unwilling to spread the ‘disease’ they find themselves infected with as they realise the true horror of their condition while another embraces the condition in all its glory.

It’s an interesting take on the vampire condition, but I have to admit the show takes it a bit far in the clinical department as they follow the child that is born from the two runaway scientists, who becomes the first one born with the virus and thus someone the other scientist wants for research purposes that they never really explain thoroughly.

The main story follows the child grown into a man who has learned to barely control his ‘urges’ as he works as a doctor in a hospital where his enemy’s also reside experimenting on others as they try to create some sort of medicine from the virus.

It’s an intriguing story in that I really want to know how the virus came to be, but the tangled web behind it seems to be lacking in plot construction as it veers off in fancy fight scenes that go nowhere and send our hero in various dead end searches for no reason at times.

Another interesting thing is the love story they focuses on with another doctor in the hospital that just so happens to be connected to our main guy’s past as well. Their relationship starts off rough as they work together and slowly begin to warm to each other.

In all honesty I think the love story is more a side project as it barely has any notable development, but then again I have only watched about 8 episodes. Hopefully more character development and chemistry can be built as the series goes.

So in the end I’s say it’s a different kind of vampire story to what I was expecting, but I suppose that’s a good thing. Whether it’s a good kind of different, I guess that would have to be up to the viewer and their tastes, as for me… I don’t mind watching till the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment