Monday 2 March 2015

Shinmai Maou no Testament - Anime


This anime is straight up dodge. I have to say it. I went into watching this blindly, just an escape after doing some work. But five minutes into watching the first episode I was beginning to question my decision to watch this at work as a few questionable scenes, though subtle and censored, wasn’t the kind of content I wanted my colleagues, let alone my boss seeing on my screen. But I guess it was a good thing it was late in the afternoon and most of my colleagues who regularly pass by my screen are desensitized from the stuff on my screen.

not within 5 minutes but a good indicator... >.<

Shinmai Maou no Testament is an interesting anime story-wise as it follows the male protagonist who gains two little sisters, one of whom happens to be the sole daughter of a demon lord and has inherited his immense power thus making her a target by others who want the throne.

unexpectedly cool oni-chan

It’s an action anime filled with your usual dazzle of magic and demon lore as it creates this world where a race demons, angels and heroes exist in hidden villages and we find that our male protagonist belongs to one of them, though he lives with his father in exile due to some reasons that slowly get revealed as the story progresses.


Despite the good story, there exists a large amount of ‘fan service’ in this anime that tends to take preference in some scenes, which irritates me sometimes. A majority of this service is initiated by Maria, the companion of our young demon lord heir. It doesn’t help that Maria happens to be a succubus. Though some of the scenes are entertaining, they can become a bit tedious as the joke gets repeated within the first few minutes of an episode.

not so innocent little sister O.O

Is it me or does it seems that most anime these days submit to vast amounts of fan service? Or am I imagining things? Anyway, despite the excessive bits of fan service, I still think the story is worth taking note of. I mean, any story that focuses on an exiled hero’s journey should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment