Thursday 21 May 2015

DanMachi - Anime


I’m not much of a gamer, though I find myself drawn to the gamer world every so often that the only thing keeping me from it is probably actually playing the games at this point. But alas, even that becomes a small hurdle that I’ll jump soon enough once the right game comes along and eats away the last dregs of my so-called free time. But for now, I’ll stick with watching the anime that takes the gaming world and brings it to life.


A recent anime that fits this description has me quite hooked as it takes you on an adventure through an interesting world based on some curious rules. Though as interesting as I find the anime, I have to admit the name is probably the stupidest thing about it, yet also the cutest thing that most probably gets one to watch it. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka*, is quite the mouthful to say but gets its point across in what the general idea for the show is.


DanMachi*, has a similar setting to that of Sword Art Online and Log Horizon but where it deviates from the two is that instead of being a ‘virtual’ world of dungeons and magic, it exists as an actual world with real people and their stories. This change lends a slightly darker tone to what it means to be an adventurer in this world as there is no rebirth giving the anime an interesting edge, I think.


The anime starts off by following a beginner who is just starting out in his journey as an adventurer, making it easier for the rest of us to follow how things work in this curious world. Especially since it seems that to be an adventurer, it seems one is required to be part of a ‘familia’.


These ‘familia’ bring in an interesting lore of the world where gods and goddesses exist among the mortals to live and play as they do, simply because they got bored being divine creatures.


Our protagonist teams up relatively unknown goddess and becomes part of her familia in order to become an adventurer. He dreams of conquering the dungeons and becoming stronger for various reasons, one of which is to be able to stand beside a swords woman he greatly admires.


It’s an interesting anime with captivating characters and in the few episodes I have watched I have to say I enjoyed the character development that the main protagonist experienced as well as a few of his companions went through. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more from this, though I have to admit to hoping it doesn’t drag out too long.


*DanMachi - Danjon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darō ka?
English translation - Is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon?

No comments:

Post a Comment