Wednesday 5 August 2015

iZombie - TV Show [The CW]


Every time there’s news of a superhero TV show that’s going to air I tend to get excited because frankly my little nerdy heart likes to jump at the idea of sitting back and watching some hero do his or her thing on screen as they take me on a journey into their curious world that I may or may not have researched in depth for months before the release date of the pilot episode. Granted I sometimes find myself so distracted by other dramas and anime that I also tend to forget for a bit the TV show is coming out and have the added bonus of ‘rediscovering’ it from time to time.


Odd, I know but a recent TV show that travelled this confusing path in my world has proven to be quite resilient in being continuously rediscovered as it kept popping out in front of me and intriguing me every time. Though not the average superhero stories I’m used to, iZombie actually still proved to be just as engrossing as any other hero story that my nerdy heart skipped a beat for.


The story followed a woman, at the prime of her life, who suddenly found herself scratched by a zombie and now unable to live on the perfect wave her life was riding. Now a brain-craving zombie, she took her medical skills and worked as a Medical examiner for the police, while skimming some brains on the side from the victims she examined.


The hero part comes from the cool abilities her appetite seems to give her. Aside from being undead, our heroine seems to gain the memories, or fragments of them, from the brains she eats. Fuelled by a desire to help these poor deceased, she works with a detective- who thinks she’s psychic- and they go off to solve various crimes together.


The show is quirky and fun to watch and I like the characters very much. I especially applaud the main actor for displaying the various personalities that come with eating brains as she takes on different people, while retaining the original characters personality.


The supporting actors are also very well developed and likeable. One of my favourites is our zombie’s ex-fiancé whom, despite seemingly giving off a very ‘throw away’ vibe as an actual stay-on character in the beginning, proves his worth as the story progresses.


Now I know this is supposedly based on a comic, but I know nothing of that so my views are purely on the TV show alone and they say this stuff is pretty great. It has character development, gory action and storyline from all sides. It’s really hard to dislike it, in my opinion.

F.Y.I Brains are apparently delicious…


No comments:

Post a Comment