Tuesday 28 July 2015

Oh My Ghost - KDama


As a fan of the supernatural genre I’m always one to be excited to watch what the networks have in store for our eyeballs to consume. A recent drama didn’t disappoint as it catered to my hungry eyes and brought forth a lovely drama that had me engaged in its content from the get go, though I won’t lie and say it doesn’t have me worried at some points.


Oh My Ghost is a very cheeky romance that has me in stitches as I watch the main lead get led by the nose hairs as she gets possessed by a ghost who has nothing but sex on her mind.


The story revolves around a very introverted and skittish woman, Na Bong-Sun who has the ability to see and communicate with the dead, much to her discomfort and misfortune. Things kick off when she crosses paths with a ghost who literally runs into her in order to avoid being captured by a shaman, but this isn’t just any ghost, this ghost- Shin Soon-Ae- just so happens to have the same wavelength as our protagonist making things very interesting.


Because of this coincidence it makes it very difficult for our ghost to leave the body of our lead, trapping her for a while in Na Bong-Sun’s body and forcing Shin Soon-Ae to live her life for a while. Not that she minds though as she soon discovers that our lead is surrounded by more than a few hot guys she wouldn’t mind taking a bite out of.


The possession eventually wears off, but not before our ghost gets to meet with a man with a lot of ‘vitality’, aka our male lead, Kang Sun-Woo, who just so happens to be our poor Na Bong-Sun’s boss.


Kang Sun-Woo proves to be someone our ghost desperately needs for various reasons, while also being someone Na Bong-Sun is rather uncomfortable being around and as you can imagine this makes for quite an intriguing contrast of events as our poor lead’s persona drastically changes due to her possession and tries to crawl into Kang Sun-Woo’s life… and bed.


The story is sweet and funny. I love the characters and I must applaud the lead actress for her complete personality change as she portrays the possessed version of herself versus the ‘normal’ version.


The story itself is also interesting as you start questioning things about our sexually frustrated ghost and how Shin Soon-Ae died. The build-up creates quite a picture that plays brilliantly in the background and nags at my curiosity.


I have to say though, I worry that the ‘possessed’ version of our main lead is overpowering her normal personality. It makes for a worrying thought if I think about how the writers plan to fix that problem or maybe the actress played the part too well, who knows. All I do know is that the character she portrays seems swallowed up by the ‘possessed’ version of herself while the ‘normal’ version drifts slowly into the background.


I’m curious to see how the actress finds a balance between the two that’s both believable and acceptable in the confines of the drama. Still I won’t deny the fact that I hope she stays possessed as my feelings right now are totally with the ghost as she comes across more as the main lead than anything else. But this thinking is wrong as it perpetuates the reality that outgoing and aggressive people are more acceptable and liked than the introverted. As an introvert, I should be worried about that shouldn’t I? Oh well, whatever. I still have to wait for more episodes to come out and grace my eyeballs so I’ll wait and see what the ultimate results are. Hopefully the aspects of both introverts and extroverts will be highlighted and all will be well with the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment