Thursday 18 February 2016

Sekkou Boys - Anime


Sometimes you’re watching something and you have to ask yourself ‘what the fudgesticks’? Because, honestly speaking, you have come across a show that has jumped you with its randomness in a moment unexpected. Recently I have come across such a show and I can’t help wondering whether I should be laughing my ass off or questioning my sanity for finding something like this entertaining.


Sekkou Boys is an anime I don’t think I expected I’d be watching and enjoying as much as I am. It’s weird and stupid and it’s all about absolutely nothing. The story follows the antics of new talent manager who discovers her first job will be to look after an idol group. But this is no ordinary idol group, oh no… not even in the slightest. This group, aptly named ‘Rockies’, literally consists of statues or to be more precise the busts of Greek/Roman Gods.


We have Saint Giorgio, Medici, Hermes and Mars who form the popular idol group that is managed by our inexperienced art student Miki Ishimoto, the only ‘real’ person around them most of the time. Despite their lack of ‘body’ or change in facial features when talking the characters are surprisingly animated through their speech and attitude. Of course the lovely anime expressions also help a lot, but most of the credit needs to be given to the voice actors who are pulling this crazy stunt off. I can only imagine how tough this must be for them.


The episodes are short and maybe that’s a good thing as they are quite frankly stupidly funny as they follow the idol group in their daily lives as they go along their business as just another average idol group. What I find quite fascinating is that everyone seems to be okay with the fact that these statues are idols and that they are just being pushed (yes pushed) around by their manager as they go about their lives. It’s mind blowing, utterly stupid and mind blowing.

In any case, it’s a good short break between watching other anime or drama and it makes for a good laugh here and there even if you don’t know why on earth you’re laughing. But oh well entertainment is entertainment, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment