Sunday 22 November 2015

Hidan no Aria AA - Anime


There are a lot of fandoms in the anime universe. I should know that by now. Yet somehow I still get blown away by the various genres I come across in my daily viewing as I randomly pick through all the lovely choices I am presented with to watch. One of the relatively normal ones that I decided to go with though had me questioning whether I had strayed too far from my normal viewing as it had innocent looking moe girls dressed in bullet proof sailor uniforms fighting crime.


Hidan no Aria AA features a group of girls in high school learning to be a special team of detective who take down bad guys, all while wearing these special made uniforms that could probably have a little more material covering them if you ask me, but whatever. The plot follows a very low ranking girl, Akari Mamiya who is an E-ranked Butei.


Butei are individuals who undergo special training that enables them to counter attack the worsening crime conditions of the world they live in. Because of this they are taught various skills, all of which our dear Akari Mamiya seems to fail miserably at. However, this doesn’t stop the fact that she dreams of being one of the elite Butei’s ‘Amica’.


One day as luck would have it though our low ranking lead gets a rare shot at being her idol, Kanzaki Aria’s partner and after some trouble lands up as having a semi-contract with the elite. Of course things become interesting for Akari as she works hard to fully be accepted as Aria’s Amica.


The story seems on the surface pretty below average, with maybe a little interest as it spikes my curiosity about Mamiya’s past, but overall plot is watery at best. The characters are interesting, but not enough to draw you completely in as you can almost predict them and become quickly bored.


The comedy is exaggerated and the drama a bit forced. Then there’s also the yuri* hints that smack you in the face here and there, though that was pretty different for me compared to my normal interests, but it wasn’t unpleasant. I suppose all in all this isn’t an anime that’s going to win any awards, but it passes the time at least.


*Yuri - the Japanese term for girl's love, or relationships between females in manga and anime, also referred to as shojo-ai

No comments:

Post a Comment