Saturday 19 December 2015

Chivalry of a Failed Knight - Anime


Sometimes I have to ask myself why I still get surprised at today’s level of ‘plot’ that gets dished out in anime. I mean you watch enough anime and you’re bound to figure out the formula that’s behind it, so why be surprised, right? Yet every time it gets to me without fail as I watch a new series with fresh innocent eyes, unsuspecting of what’s to come and then BAM! Ecchi here, ecchi there, ecchi seemingly everywhere as you continue to watch what you assumed was an action and fantasy show that just had really gifted girls and that one lucky guy in the middle of it all.


Chivalry of a Failed Knight is without a doubt your average harem anime where you have your main protagonist, who is a guy that is striving to reach his goal which in this case is to fight in the Seven Star Sword Art Festival. This annual event is held by the seven Mage Knight Academies in Japan to determine the strongest apprentice Knight between the schools.


Our lead guy, Kurogane Ikki, dubbed a failed knight strives to fight in this festival despite being ill-equipped when it comes to having overall supernatural abilities like the rest of his peers, whom are referred to as Blazers and can each materialize a device though their soul to fight with.


On his journey to fighting in the festival he comes across an A-class Blazer, Stella Vermillion, whom he accidentally stumbles upon in an awkward time leading to various misunderstandings and adorable moments that bring them closer together. The two duel it out and upon Ikki’s defeat of her, declare to fight each other again at the festival leading to them becoming rivals and, quite suddenly, lovers.


The anime goes on to show bits and pieces of the couples battles that showcase the rise in popularity and the story moves fairly quickly as it covers their journey to the festival. However, I can’t help but feel the anime slow down at some points and focus on those ecchi moments a bit too much while it lacks a bit of character development for any of the characters.


I have to be honest and say it drags for me a bit when I have to sit through more ecchi than story and I feel lost as to where the whole thing is going and feel like I could have watched another anime. Of course this is all just my opinion, so yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment