Friday 11 September 2015

Rokka no Yusha - Anime


As a fan of the adventure genre in anime I was totally looking forward to what Rokka no Yuusha had in store for me and I have to say from the beginning it had me drawn in with the idea of the six heroes’ story line. But somewhere along the line I got lost on the way and the story just felt like something was missing for me. I don’t know about others but to me the whole thing seemed a little rushed as the anime jumped right into taking our characters from out of nowhere and straight into adventure. No development and minimal introduction, right off the bat.


Don’t get me wrong, the story is still interesting. We have our protagonist who is determined to be chosen as one of the ‘six braves’ chosen by some god to fight the demon god and protect the land and he sets off to find the other potential braves in an effort to get his journey started. In the process he gets jailed for his efforts and constant claims of being the ‘strongest man’ alive but to his luck he meets another brave who frees him and so their journey to meet the others begins.


As you can see, it’s a story triggered by chance meetings along the main mission to get to the demon god. But the way it’s done is so cut and dry as the characters playout their fairly predictable roles along the way. No focus is given to a single character therefore no development is really seen. It’s quite irritating. But I still watch it because I’m hopeful that maybe there is a plot device in all this that I’m failing to see.


I have to admit though, despite the lack of character development, the characters are already quite interesting on their own. So it’s not like I don’t want to get to know them, I do. It’s just that the anime isn’t giving anything away accept for brief flashes and repetitive behaviour that barely adds anything to what’s already obvious.


Ah well, I guess not every anime can be perfect, but at least it’s watchable and like I said, I’m hopeful…or maybe naïve, I’m not sure anymore which one, but I guess it doesn’t matter after I’ve already spent the time watching all these episodes.


No comments:

Post a Comment