Monday 16 February 2015

Birth of a Beauty - KDrama

Birth of A Beauty - Poster
When I first came across this drama I was excited for the concept, but I couldn’t help being slightly worried with how they would execute it. Obviously this kind of topic is always a touchy one when it comes to the general media, never mind the Korean culture and despite my reservations on the details I still opted to give it a shot despite knowing how irritated I would be at some point during my viewing experience.


The drama started out pretty good, the idea of a random house wife living happily to serve her in-laws and travelling husband while no one really appreciated her was a bit much for me to handle I’ll admit but that was more a cultural itch to scratch than anything else. 


I liked that she had a solid story to push her drastic change into the ‘beauty’ that we would be seeing for the majority the show. Her story gave her brilliant character development and made it easy to build for future plot development that, for me, created quite a nice story to bite into.


The romance was also interesting as the two leads moved along together and discovered they were connected by more than a desperate housewife’s plea as they learn the dark truths of those closest to them and embark on a mission to expose the truth.


The story was simple enough but it worked and the plot had enough momentum to create a beautiful work of art…But here is where things get troublesome as the story becomes overly, and unnecessarily, complicated with the male lead’s storyline that overlaps with our housewife-turned-beauty.


Though I understand the need for his story, I wish they had condensed it to something more bite sized instead of blowing it up to the extent that they did.


It is clear near the end of the drama that even the creators of this show were at a loss at how to beautifully fix the tangle of plot they had twisted and they just resorted to mixing it into one bowl and hoping it would come out like something acceptable. It was truly frustrating to watch all this unravel near the end as they rushed to close off their loose ends instead of strategically sending off the show.


While it was a good drama to watch and it is a concept I wish to see re-used in a different manner in another drama at some point, I feel is could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment